Bike Week is a celebration and promotion of the benefits of cycling. Held over a week each year National Bike Week takes offers opportunities for people to get into or return to the saddle for commuting, recreation or the sheer joy of it.
In Roscommon, Bike Week is delivered by Roscommon Sports Partnership and supported by Roscommon County Council and the National Transport Authority.
To see more about Bike Week go to www.bikeweek.ie
Check out our 2022 Bike Week Events here www.rosactive.org/events/bike-week-2022/
Cycling is a wonderful method of physical activity and is a low-impact type of physical activity that not only will provide you with an array benefits, but also keep the impact on your joints and bones to a minimum. Not only will you be able to improve your physical and mental health, you can also travel while doing so.
The benefits to be gained from cycling are immense.
Benefits of cycling to work
Cycling to work or campus is a great way to reap the health benefits associated with cycling, and there are other benefits including environmental, financial, and societal benefits. Here are just a few of the benefits associated with cycling to your workplace
- Reduced carbon footprint
- Reduced costs associated with travelling by car – you can save on both fuel and parking costs
- Improved health benefits
- Lower stress levels
- More productivity at work
- Opportunity to increase social engagement.
Health benefits of cycling
Some of the health benefits you may experience when cycling include:
- Increased cardio-respiratory fitness
- Improvement in balance and coordination
- Increased muscular endurance and strength
- Reduced risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Lower risk of certain types of cancers
- Improved management of conditions such as high blood pressure, joint and muscular pain or stiffness, and type 2 diabetes
- Reduced risk of depression and
- Improved sleep quality.